The entire universe is made of energy, and your body is no exception. The 7 chakras play an important role in the balance and health of our bodies.
Long before modern technology and science, ancient cultures knew that all living things carried a life force with them. They called the centers of energy that moved inside of us the 7 chakras.
So, what are the 7 chakras?
Chakra is an old Sanskrit word that literally means wheel.
This is because the life force, or prana, that moves inside of you is spinning and rotating. This spinning energy has 7 centers in your body, starting at the base of your spine and moving all the way up to the top of your head.
In a healthy, balanced person, the 7 chakras provide the right balance of energy to every part of your body, mind, and spirit.
But, if one of your chakras spins too quickly, is blocked, or moves slowly, your health will suffer.
By learning about the 7 chakras, you can become more in tune with the natural energy cycles of your body.
You can use this information to connect physical, emotional and spiritual imbalances with the chakras that empower them. And with those discoveries, you can begin to balance your chakras and live a healthy and harmonious life.
What religion are the 7 chakras?
Some believe chakras to be religious symbols. But the truth is, they don’t belong to any particular religion. That said, chakras are featured in both Hinduism and Tantric Buddhism.
The 7 Chakras For Beginners
Before diving into the 7 chakras, let’s take a moment to tune into the body and feel the chakras at work. For beginners, these chakra exercises may seem odd. But just go with the flow and soon, you’ll be a chakra pro. You may sense the prana energy centers very lightly, very intensely, or not at all. Just remember that whatever happens, is okay.
Introductory Chakra Meditation
- First, start by making sure you’re in a quiet space. Sit quietly for a moment and take a few deep breaths. Let tension and stress slide away for a moment. Just be in the moment, with your body.
- Now, bring your attention to the base of your spine, your tailbone, and imagine a bright spinning red light. Feel it pulsing and rotating with your breath. Sit with that for a moment.
- Next, move your attention up your spine to the area a couple of inches below your belly button. Feel the warmth of a bright, orange spinning light. Again, notice how it moves with your breath.
- Now, guide your attention to a couple inches above your belly button. You’re probably familiar with this area because when you feel strong emotions like love or fear, you likely feel it here. Notice how you can sense the intense yellow light rotating in that spot.
- Bring your attention further up to the center of your chest where your heart is. This area harnesses a bright green light. When you’re touched or moved, you might instinctively place your hand over this spot. Connect with that area now.
- Then, bring your attention to your throat, the dip in between your collar bones. Imagine a bright blue light spinning in that area. You may feel the urge to swallow or clear your throat.
- Next, move your attention up to the space between your eyebrows, your third eye. This area holds a deep indigo light. Imagine it spinning and becoming brighter.
- Finally, shift your attention to the very top of your head. Imagine a vibrant, spinning violet light that shines right out of the top of your body. This light connects you to the universe. Feel the peace that comes with noticing this light.
The 7 Chakras: Meaning and Symbols
Now that you’ve been introduced to your chakras, let’s talk about the role that each plays in your life. We’re going to discuss the location and purpose of each chakra, and we’ll also talk about the symptoms you might experience when they are balanced or imbalanced. Of course, each discussion will conclude with how to heal and empower each chakra. Click on the chakra below and it will open the corresponding page for that Chakra.